Tuesday, May 26, 2020

5/28/20

Today you need to read the article below on the My Lai Massacre. As you read, consider the questions below. You will be participating in a discussion on this event tomorrow so be prepared with these questions.

My Lai Reading

  • What is something that stood out to you in the reading?
  • Why did My Lai happen?
  • What does the story of My Lai tell us about the nature of the Vietnam War? (Think tactical, logistical, psychological)
  • How do you think this will affect the war effort/support for the war in Vietnam?
  • How will this affect public perception of the war at home?
  • What do you think will be the lasting effect on the soldiers involved?
  • Who is responsible for what happened?
To help with your thoughts on the last question, watch this short 3 minute video that interviews survivors and soldiers from Charlie Company. It is just a short overview as the full episode is no longer available. If you can find the full episode I highly recommend it.

My Lai video

Below is the sign-up sheet for Friday's required small group discussion. You need to sign up for a group no later than today at 2:00 pm. There are instructions in the sign-up if the times don't work for you or your group would like to coordinate something different.

My Lai Discussion Sign-up